RockinRRanch

RockinRRanch

Wednesday, January 22, 2020

1/22/2020














I came home from work and went out to check on the sheep.  Fryne was laying down by the hay where she's been for the last few days.  She was acting droopy and didn't want to get up.  She was sniffing her sides and has some mucous.  I went inside for about 20 minutes and came back out to check on her.  She was laying down and there was a lamb coming.  I had to break the water bag because it looked like just a head.  The lamb was coming with one foot back and the other hiding under its chin.   She wouldn't be able to deliver such a large lamb in that position.  I called Jared and he headed home.  I got the snare cords out and put one on the lambs leg and on on its head.  Then I pushed it back against her contractions.  Once back in I searched for the missing leg.  I could feel several legs so I pulled the one I though belonged to this lamb.  Once the lamb was in the correct position I helped her deliver it.  I put the lamb by her head and she started licking it.  It wasn't long before the next lamb was coming.  Its elbows were stuck so I straightened them.  When Jared got home we moved them into the stall.  We tubed them some colostrum.  They are healthy twin girls.  They weigh 10.7 and 11.9 lbs. We gave Fryne some warm molasses water and she sure liked that.  I stayed home to clean thing up and do laundry.  Jared went to school to get the boys.  Adam saw it was Daddy and asked, "Is there lambs?"  When they got home Eli ran straight to the barn so he could see the new lambs.  He loved holding them even though they were still wet.  The boy and Daddy played minecraft.  Then Daddy and I played a game of Ticket to Ride.  This evening we went to the Midland forest sledding hill.  The boys had such a great time sledding.  We came home and made taco's for dinner.  

1 comment:

Mom/Nana Schaard said...

Eli sure loves those lambs. I love his smiles when he is holding them. Jacob looks like he's feeling on the ice in shorts and a short sleeve shirt.